Monday, August 27, 2012

Listing Covers

We've covered lists before here on Not Too Crazy, so by now I expect you know: I am a listmaker; I make lists for almost everything. I write them by hand, with ink, on paper, and I've been doing so since I was a kid. I'm pretty sure this habitslashcompulsion originated with my initial reading of Anastasia Krupnik circa 1985, but I cannot be certain.

Eventually, the playlist will be ordered so that my chosen cover version plays first, followed by the original. The cover versions I'm listing here may not be The Royale With Cheese of cover versions*, but they're the ones I know/love/want. For example, of all the Hallelujahs in all the world, many (most?) of you would probably select Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, and I get it. No, I do. I get that. I happen prefer Rufus Wainwright's version, and you'll just need to accept that about me.

Anyhoo, at present, I am making a list of cover songs which will later become a playlist. The list in current progress below is what I have up to today; it's not complete and it's not in any particular order. What do you think? What would you add? What am I missing?

Hallelujah
Rufus Wainwright, Leonard Cohen

Wild Horses
The Sundays, The Rolling Stones

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
Heart, Elton John

Hurt
Johnny Cash, NIN

The Weight
Gillian Welch and David Rawlings with Old Crow Medicine Show, The Band

99 Problems
Hugo, Jay Z

Crying
KD Lang, Roy Orbison

Easy
Faith No More, The Commodores

I Will Survive
Cake; Gloria Gaynor

With A Little Help From My Friends
Joe Cocker, The Beatles

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
Marilyn Manson, Eurythmics

Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Guns 'n' Roses, Bob Dylan

Killing Me Softly With His Song
The Fugees, Roberta Flack

Oh Pretty Woman
Van Halen, Roy Orbison

I'll Be There
Mariah Carey, The Jackson Five

Gold Dust Woman
Hole, Fleetwood Mac

Valerie
Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez on Glee, Amy Winehouse

I Will Always Love You
Whitney Houston, Dolly Parton

Landslide
Smashing Pumpkins, Fleetwood Mac

Hazy Shade of Winter
The Bangles, Simon & Garfunkel

Everybody Knows
Concrete Blonde, Leonard Cohen

Dancing Days
STP, Led Zeppelin

Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon
Urge Overkill, Neil Diamond

Wild Night
John Mellencamp and Meshell Ndegeocello, Van Morrison

Cruel to Be Kind
Letters to Cleo, Nick Lowe

Love Hurts
Nazareth, The Everly Brothers

*Faith No More's cover of Easy is The Royale With Cheese of covers.

3 comments:

  1. Geoffrey gets all offended when I even hint at this, but I love the Ryan Adams cover of "Wonderwall." It's so gorgeous and haunting. It's what I would add, personally. I also love Bon Iver's "I Can't Make You Love Me," while I'm making G scoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy - Ray LaMontagne and Gnarls Barkley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Will
    Jonathan Coulton / The Beatles

    The Man Who Sold the World
    Nirvana / David Bowie

    Jersey Girl
    Bruce Springsteen / Tom Waits

    Ol' 55
    The Eagles / Tom Waits

    I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You
    10,000 Maniacs / Tom Waits

    None of those Waits' covers are any good, mind you. But they're covers. I mean, maybe some people like them, but Tom's songs aren't done correctly by anyone but Tom.

    Big props for Letters to Cleo. I loved that band.

    And you know what's funny? I really like Justin Timberlake's "Hallelujah"... I even purchased it on iTunes I liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I guess...